- History Time - blasts from the past
- Action Adventures - chills, thrills and plenty of spills
- Fantasy Worlds - awesome adventures of magic and mystery
- Friends & Family - tears and laughter, and happy ever after
- Facts & Information - lists, stats and plenty of facts
- Fairy Tales - myths, legends and folklore from way back
*"Find your local library.":http://bit.ly/2CShOJr* *Buy this book from hive.co.uk to support The Reading Agency and local bookshops at no additional cost to you* England is at war. Growing up in a lighthouse, eleven-year old Pet's world has been one of storms, secret tunnels and stories about sea monsters. But now the clifftops are a terrifying battleground, and her family is torn apart ...
Number of pages
One of the better children’s books set in WWII that I’ve read recently. A lot of historical information regarding the time period is provided without it feeling like a lecture. The language and writing is to a high standard and I enjoyed the small dose of magic/mysticism which was mixed in without becoming too unrealistic. Just enough for atmosphere and to keep things interesting. The characters were sympathetic and well-developed. I could see their actions being the subject of many good discussions, especially Pa’s. The main character, Pet, was a quite character coming to realise her inner strength and someone to whom many could relate. I would definitely recommend this book to other people, though with the awareness that there is a character death which might affect some people, especially in the current climate.