How it works
- Read at least 6 books and review at least 3 of them to unlock your Bronze badge
- Complete a short survey to unlock your Silver badge
- Upload an example of practice to unlock your Gold badge
Why do the Teachers’ Reading Challenge?
The latest Childwise report reveals that 1 in 4 5-16-year-olds don't read for pleasure (Childwise, 2021). The Open University’s research reveals that teachers’ knowledge of children’s literature and other texts is essential for developing a rich reading curriculum, and when combined with the four-fold reading for pleasure (RfP) pedagogy, effectively nurtures the reading habit in young people (Cremin et al, 2014). It is the cornerstone on which interactive communities of readers are built.
Modelled on The Reading Agency's popular Summer Reading Challenge, which is run annually to motivate more children to read during the break from school, the Teachers' Reading Challenge invites you to develop your repertoire of children’s books and discover ways to inspire reading for pleasure in your school or library.
Reading for pleasure impacts on children’s life chances, so if you participate in the Teachers’ Reading Challenge you will:
- Develop your reading repertoire of children’s texts
- Enrich your capacity to foster a love of reading
- Enhance your reflection on the nature of reading and being a reader